August 19, 2012

The Beginning

My First (and Hopefully Longest) Post


On the morning of August 17--my first full day in Bad Homburg, Germany--I jogged up a dirt road towards the foothills of the Taunus Mountains, staring at my feet as to avoid the bigger rocks. As I crested the hill, I glanced upwards, and the view was enough to make me stop. From the hill I could see over fields of apple trees, down into the town of Bad Homburg, and far out into the distance where the skyline of Frankfurt rose from the morning haze.



It's moments like these that make me stop and think how lucky I am. I turned back to the dirt road and continued, think-ing how this could have been any run in the Berkshire valleys or Adiron-dack peaks. But I wasn't in Massa-chusetts or New York--I was in Germany.I'd made it to the destination that I'd been talking about and scheming about for months. This felt different; this felt special.

The Planning


During the second semester of my senior year at Mt. Greylock, I looked forward to nothing more than my block seven independent study period. I was creating a "Greylock Gap Year" website, but for every hour of researching, writing, and web designing, I spend twice as many thinking, dreaming, and planning my upcoming year. From sending regular emails across the pond to mapping the dream road trip to calculating estimated expenses, I went about planning my gap year with a whimsical irregularity that made the whole experience fun. 

I always liked the idea of taking a year off between high school and college. I could catch up with my age group, get better at soccer, and have time to create my own adventures. Inspired by Dylan Dethier's golfing escapade across the Lower 48, I envisioned a similarly grand experience that catered to my needs. By senior year I was set on taking a gap year; still, it was difficult to throw myself into preparing for the year before I'd even been accepted to college. It was just before Christmas break when I was assured of future plans, as I got into Middlebury College.  Both the administration and soccer coach at Midd fully supported my decision to defer. From then on I could enjoy my second semester, but I could also keep myself busy with a year's worth of preparation ahead of me. 

Week by week, email by email, plans fell into place. It began with a conversation with the Judson family. Nina, who knew my mother growing up in Williamstown, and Simon, from the UK, lived in Germany with their four kids. Do you like living in Germany? Is there a bed for me for four months? Can I find a soccer team to join? The answers were YES, YES, and YES. Soon I had my plane ticket booked--August 16 to December 16--and I had the first part of my year set in stone.

I began to see my year falling into three separate adventures, sandwiched by two summers at Camp Dudley. Following Germany I wanted to plan a solo road trip heading south, and part three would be the best time to stay with my aunt and uncle Harry and Nellie Scoble in Hamden, CT while I worked. But those details will come later.

As graduation came and went and I left Williamstown for camp, Germany crept closer. It was strange trying to pack up my life and fit it in a suitcase and a backpack. The more I tried to squeeze in, the more fond memories I seemed to leave behind. But I knew that if I kept an open mind, I could make memories during my gap year that would last a lifetime.

Setting Off


Now I have arrived in Germany, and the first leg has begun! Each stage of leaving was hard; first Williamstown, then Dudley, and lastly my family. But every time I felt a pang of sadness rise in my chest, I thought of everyone who had heard my plans and said that I was going to have the time of my life. I thought of my sendoff dinner at Uncle Harry's restaurant, and I knew that before I could blink, I would be back there again for Christmas Eve lunch. 

My plane from JFK was delayed by three hours, but since it was an overnight flight I did not mind. Once we were in the air time flew by. I was able to sleep between dinner and breakfast, and when I was not resting I talked with the traveler seated next to me. She was a college student from Connecticut and was going to Berlin and Copenhagen for a week each before school started. It was nice to hear her perspective, but I was also thankful that I did not have to worry about checking into a hostel right away. I realized that there are so many travelers like her, and very few like me. 

I arrived tired, but walking back from my gate I may have snuck in a casual fist pump. This was actually happen-ing! My host family was waiting--excited and a little confused (at least Alex (4) and Izzy (2)). Immediately I flashed back to memories of my youngest cousins running around wildly at the Storey Farm in Westport. It's not all bad being greeted by screams of excitement. 

Luke (9) and Sebastian (7) helped me move into my room, which has a balcony with views over the rooftops of our Kirdorf village. Everything is a bike ride away--the soccer fields, the schools, the bakery and beer store.

Language will never be a barrier inside the English-speaking Judson household, though I have encountered situations where I need a word or phrase in German and struggle to come up with a response. By being around a new language all day, and by listening, reading, and asking questions, I have no choice but to improve. I've already used much of my limited RosettaStone German knowledge and hope to begin expanding it.

The Road Ahead


I now enter my first full week in Germany. I've been eased into the town, and now I can begin to explore. First it will be Bad Homburg via bus and bicycle, then the city of Frankfurt, and eventually longer train and car trips to major German cities and beyond.

My weeks will not be all travel, however. I'll be playing soccer with the DJK Bad Homburg club five days a weeks. If the level of play is anywhere near the quality of the fields, I'll be completely satisfied. It will be great to meet my teammates and find new friends who can show me around.

I also meet with the Accadis International School about volunteering in the classroom. The school is completely bilingual, and no matter what age group I end up working with, it will be a wonderful opportunity to share what I bring while learning the language. After a few months, I hope to at least be able to walk into a store or restaurant and not have to ask "Sprechen Sie English?"

It will be an unforgettable four months. I can't predict how I'll feel by the end, but I hope to use my time here to the fullest. It's strange to think that I will still have six months left after Germany is over, but those adventures are for other days. For now, I am nothing but excited for what lies ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment